"I have the simplest tastes. I am simply satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

"I came, I saw, I ate." - Au Gourmand

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Frisée Salad with Pistachio and Fig



This is a variation of a popular French recipe. I dine out less in the summer time because 1) my patience, or the lack thereof, does not withstand the heat very well, and naturally, I can suffer bad food even less gracefully than usual, and 2) my compulsive and obsessive food purchase at farmers' markets chains me to the kitchen... I can never let food go bad without feeling a religious sense of guilt (not helped by the fact that my mother, who enjoyed threatening me that for each grain of rice I left in my bowl, I would grow one pimple...among other worse fate awaiting for such wasteful little brat...). Besides, leaving the debate of what life is to another time, I have a feeling that as long as the vegetables and fruits have been plucked out of their habitats, they would prefer to end up in my stomach with appreciative sighs (i.e. "Ahhhhh. So good!") rather than rotting away sadly and lonely in the refrigerator.



Ingredients

Frisee, cut (I find scissors to be extremely useful for this particular venture)
Bacon (Do yourself a favor - remove the fat: Really, you will still get the bacon flavor), diced and cook until crispy
Hard-boiled eggs, diced
Pistachios, chopped
Dried figs (Please choose wisely; there are a lot of good ones out there these days. Do not get something that is only Fig Newton minus the shell.), chopped
Wine vinegar
Salt, pepper
Olive oil

Preparation

Mix all the above. Who said cooking had to be hard to be delicious?

No comments:

Post a Comment