"I have the simplest tastes. I am simply satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

"I came, I saw, I ate." - Au Gourmand

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pure Food and Wine, June 2010 (with Personal Compliment to Patrick Roger)

Aside from eating fresh fruits and vegetables, the only good things that are vegan and raw (let's not talk about salads because that is cheating) that have ever passed my mouth come from Pure Food and Wine. I take my hat off to them for making vegan and raw food so enjoyable, indeed so enjoyable that I am happy to become vegan here every three months (well, after all, there is only so much variety with vegan food when its raw).

Spring Salad of Mache, Saved Fennel, Rasberries and Toasted Almonds: Simple, crisp and fresh, this salad was the epitome of a good salad - vegan or not.

King Oyster Mushroom Scallops: Simple and a little plain - perhaps a little marinade would have helped.

Zucchini and Tomato Lasagna: It is definitely not lasagna, maybe they should stop calling their creations what they are not. Vegan/vegetarian food does not need to mimic meat (i.e. mock chicken? Does it sound delicious to you?); similarly, raw food does not need to be what it is not (i.e. lasagna), does it? Initially suspicious that the sweet and tender zucchinis would be overwhelmed by the tomatoes, this suspicion was immediately dispelled by my first bite. The intense tomato sauce alone is worth ordering this dish.

Sweet Corn and Cashew Tamales: This used to be the crown jewel of Pure Food and Wine. What has changed in the 12 months that I was away? The attractive sweetness of the tamale was gone. It was no longer the creamy plump bundle of sweetness; instead, I find small, yellow paste with spice. It is still edible (very edible), but.

Lemon Cheesecake: This cheesecake, yes, cheesecake, righly deserves its name. It has exactly the texture and tastes of a perfectly lemony cheesecake, and a very good cheesecake at that.

Chocolate and Mint Sundae: Sundaes used to be off-limits to the novices because they were not on the menu. What is the point of leaving a delicious item off the menu, I never understood. But the word has got out and now you know what to order. The other sundae - I am not interested; it just cannot be as good as the Mint Sundae.

Strawberry Shortcake: No. 3 of the my favorite dessert list.

Chocolate Passion Fruit Tart: I have never liked chocoalate and passion fruit together - one is bitter-sweet and the other is sour and pungent. Give me a good reason why they should not start fighting on my palate. (My credibility in this area might have suffered a plunge: I used to detest chocolate covered orange peels or rasberry flavored chocoates...especially chocolate covered orange peels. However, Patrick Roger has changed my view forever. Yes, my reputation can suffer all it wants for some of the amazing Corsica...)

No comments:

Post a Comment