"I have the simplest tastes. I am simply satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

"I came, I saw, I ate." - Au Gourmand

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Vegan and vegetarian Cuisine in Taiwan (Part 3 of 4)

My rematch with vegan food was at the food court of a department store at a place called可楽鍋 (ke-le-guo). For those who understand Chinese, the word, “可楽,” must have already sent a red, flashing warning sign (or have at least awaken a few readers): It means cola, yes, as in Coca-Cola. Regrettably, this review is not about the fascinating cola hot pot in which the cola is supposed to soften the meat, but about the “meat” in one of their more conventional tomato-basil hot pot (the place actually features international hot pots – other varieties include Thai curry, which we also tried, and German sauerkraut, which we did not try). Thealleged “meat” were supposedly made of the stalks of shiitake mushrooms. How the beguiling fungus metamorphosizes into “meat,” I do not know. What I know is that it was “meat” and it was a stringy, healthy, lean red meat. Just see for yourself (if not taste for yourself): It is brown and it has the fiber and it has the taste.

No, I am not kidding you: These are the real pictures. You want more proof? See if these look like short ribs to you! I can tell you that these were softer and juicier than the previous “meat,” just like some good, tender short ribs… Crazy country, is Taiwan, I am telling you…
My Quest in Taiwan will continue tomorrow… Stay tuned.

Restaurant Info:

可楽鍋: Located in the Dayeh Takashimaya. http://www.dayeh-takashimaya.com.tw/food/food.html

No comments:

Post a Comment