"I have the simplest tastes. I am simply satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde

"I came, I saw, I ate." - Au Gourmand

Monday, January 24, 2011

Homemade Tofu - January 20, 2010

I had never truly appreciated tofu until I had made my own. It is like having a baby: Your own baby, although it comes with the same package of dirty diapers, nonstop crying and endless wreckage of your precious possessions, somehow seems cuter and more loveable than the baby next door; and, it changes your view of the world. Well, the view of tofu, at any rate.
I added edamame to soy beans - edamame being the adolescent soy beans.  Therefore, the color of the tofu was slightly yellower and greener. The addition of edamame gave the tofu a lighter and a grassy tone, proportional to its youth.  For this special tofu, four condiments were provided:  uni-nori (stewed seaweed with sea urchin gem), maccha-jio (green tea salt), yuzu-kosho (black pepper with Japanese citrus) and soy sauce. 

No comments:

Post a Comment